Sunday, March 22, 2009

AIG's $315 Million Shadow Man


Are there no other photographs of this man?

Article
by
Doug Hardin


I was researching an article about Joseph J. Cassano, the architect of AIG's disastrous plunge into default-credit swaps. You know? The guy who broke AIG's bank, got paid $315,000,000 and then got fired last March, with a $1,000,000 per month consulting fee from AIG.....Just to keep him available in case they had any questions like, "Where's our money!"

I thought a photo would give me a better feel for the man so I turned, as I do in times of need, to Google. With Google, photos are a cinch. Punch in a name and lots of related pictures appear. However, not so easy with our Mr. Cassano, it seems.

Up popped these 4 totally different faces, all specifically identified, by various sources, as AIG's Joseph Cassano. All from major news sources, and a few less than major.


Will the real Joseph Cassano please take one step forward?


I easily eliminated this Joseph Cassano because he looked older than Mr Cassano's reported 52 years. Besides he is actually Maurice R. Greenberg, former CEO of AIG.



I next eliminated this man because he is actually Martin Sullivan, who succeeded the above Maurice Greenberg as CEO of AIG. Bloomberg News , however says this man is Cassano


Identified as Cassano on MyObama.com

Not real sure who this is. Sort of looks like Fuld, former CEO of Goldman Sachs. Definitely not Cassano.




Cassano, according to New York Times, Evening Standard, Daily Mail and CNN .

By process of elimination, this must be him. Apparently, only one current photos is passed around, cut, cropped and edited by those who believe is actually Cassano, the man who pocketed $315,000,000 and walked away, leaving behind the ruins of AIG.

This photo is reported to be him standing outside his London digs. Cassano worked out of AIG's London office. Hey! I thought all these all these guys were on Wall Street?

NBC, CBS and ABC had absolutely nothing that I could find. Or perhaps they were as confused as I was.

Campbell Brown at CNN tried to make it interesting by making a video report and moving the photo around. Good try with that, but not convincing. You can watch the video HERE.


Time tried to make the best of a bad situation,
touching up the original for their Rogues Gallery edition.

Nobody can dodge a camera forever. I must have missed something. There had to be another photo somewhere. I decided to backtrack for a missed clue.

Aha!


Cassano is second from the right.

I just hadn't looked close enough. Finn Times, an Irish news service had him in an AIG group shot. I had looked, but missed Cassano. Same as man in red, I believe, but a few years, and several Bail Outs younger.



This is the man that has kept us all awake nights?

I thought Buddy Holly was dead.

Oh Boy!

No comments:

Blog Archive